September 21, 2010

Flower Challenge by Christy





Design Team Member Christy submitted this layout for the August flower challenge, and I failed to post it on time.  So here it is now.  She said, "For this page, I chose to use Sketch 211 from Scrapbook Challenges. I chose paper from K and company's Poppyseed collection. I liked the turquoise with the pool photos. Since I have a boy, I liked being able to slip in some purple accents.Purple is just not a color I usually scrap with. I had recently taken a a class called Fabulous Flowers over at Scrapbook challenges and my flower is a variation of the technique I learned there.


Photo one: You will need the following supplies: your choice of crepe paper, ribbon or cloth. Needle and thread, and scissors. I also have a scallop border that I use to trace for my scallops. Border punches do not work well with all materials. If you do not have a scallop stencil, you can punch one out of cardstock and then use that as your stencil.


Photo 2: using your stencil, trace a scallop border about 7 inches long. Cut it out of the material.


Photo 3: sew a running stitch along the edge of the flower. You can gather it at the end if you wish. I find it easier to gather it as I go along. You will need to be very gentle if you are using a delicate material. in this case, I was using a plastic type ribbon, so I had to go very slowly so i would not rip the material.


Photo 4: you will end up with a stitched flower shape. repeat this as many times as you wish to get the fullness of the flower you desire. The material you use may dictate how many layers you want to make.


Once you have several layers, you can sew them together or use adhesive. In this case, I used a K and company brad. You could also use gems, buttons, or chipboard."

Now it's your turn to take one of the 3 challenges out there now:  September border Challenge - Pagerize This #2 by Joni - or Frugal Friday Tip Challenge.  See all the details below.

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous flower! Thanks for showing us how to make them! I like the title work on your lo too. Super fun photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE! it looks exactly like those expensive handmade flowers you can buy. Great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha - i cracked up so much when i saw the H2Oh, pun on O :) you're so funny.

    ooo very neat. thanks for the awesome tutorial. you make it look so easy peasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the photo strip on your layout and love how you made the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW~ so creative with your flower! Very nice!!

    ReplyDelete